Re: modem

> I tried using my modem, but discovered that I have no /dev/modem or
> /dev/cua*.  A look through the kernel config options didn't turn up
> anything obviously related to modems, so I'm a bit confused.
> I'm runing Debian 1.3, and have a Xircom Ethernet+Modem PCMCIA card
> that seems to work under Windows 95.
>   David

I have just been looking at the Xircom CEM56, which I have borrowed from
someone else.

I have the ethernet part working, but the notes in the PCMCIA HOWTO (I think)
say that you need a development series kernel to use the ethernet and modem
facilities becuase the 2.0 series does not support sharing the interupt.

Have a carefull look at the log messages you get when you insert the card
(p.s. also I am using a hamm system - I dont know if the pcmcia in bo
recognised the xircom at all)

I may try it with a more recent kernel some time (I only borrowed the card
yesterday and have to give it back soon).

I cant remember if /etc/pcmcia/serial creates /dev/modem or not (I dont
have my laptop handy to check at the moment) - also Debian uses the more
modern /dev/ttyS*

	John Lines