Re: Running X11 over a network

Hi, Ian!

> So I skip the export, startx and xhost steps replacing them with X -q...
> on the desktop.

correct!

> Packages installed as above, uses window manager on the
> laptop?

yes, this way all X-applications (including WMs) run on the laptop.

> Does XDM require you to log in? If so, can I make it
> automatically send the info I used to log in to the console (both will
> have identical user details).

I think XDM requires you to log in. But you may start the desktop's X-server
on startup to avoid you to log in twice.

> BTW, does the laptop need xbase and xlib6g?

yes, the laptop needs them and of course every application you want to run.
You needn't bother with setting up a Xserver on your Laptop if you don't
want to.

According to my knowledge there are two basic setups for your desktop:
- with locally installed fonts
  glancing at package dependencies it needs Xserver, xfntbase, xlib6, xbase
- using the laptop as fontserver
  now it only needs Xserver and an appropriate configured XF86Config :-)

I suggest to start with the first setup + xserver-vga16. Then you can use
the graphic XF86Setup to configure your desktops xserver.
When you become more experienced (and diskspace is an issue) you can switch
to the second setup and purge xbase, xfntbase, xlib6 (, xserver-vga16).

Regards
 Rainer

---
KeyID=58341901 fingerprint=A5 57 04 B3 69 88 A1 FB  78 1D B5 64 E0 BF 72 EB