Re: xdm, X, fvwm2 : newbie questions

Joost Kooij wrote:
>This sounds really weird. I can't help you very much I'm afraid.
>I don't think so, but maybe you fiddled with /etc/securetty or
>/etc/login.defs?
>
>What command do you use to become root, su or login?

Weird is the word !
And things became even weirder since.
Somehow "xinit" wasn´t doing what it was supposed to do so i reinstalled X.

This may sound like i really messed up something which of course is
not impossible but actually i am a bit familiar with programming
so i do have my inhibitions about changing any configuration or script
files at random.
For two days i have basically only been reading manual pages
and examining configuration and script files and the system deteriorated
 all by itself. Actually, i think it was the kde wind. manager or its
(de)installation
 scripts which messed up something.

Anyway, the probelm is solved.
I removed the X system with dselect (as far as possible) then manually
removed all the subdirectories that were left on my system  ( and which
i was able to discern as belonging to X or kde or any other wind.manager)
and re-installed X & fvwm2 . Works fine now and when "startx" starts X,
it opens an xterm for me and i see the familiar prompt for root.

The installation with dselect gave me a few warnings, like:

>Setting up xlib 6 (3.3-3)
>ldconfig:warning:can´t open /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6
>No such file or directory, skipping

but X seems to be working and that is what counts.

Thank-you all for your help

Gabor Kontur
KGabor@compuserve.com