Re: xdm, X, fvwm2 : newbie questions

Hi Joost ,

Thank you and the others for your expertise and your time.

Joost Kooij wrote:
>Hmm, ae, yes.. well, ae seems not to work very well in xterm. If you want
>an easy editor, try joe. Or learn vi. You're advised to learn ed and ex
>too if you want to be a vi power-user.

I just noticed that page-up and page-down do not work with "most " when i´m
in xterm.
Strangely enough, the arrow keys (those that do not work with "ae") work
here.
Maybe i should just forget about xterm altogether and use a VC ?!

Joost Kooij wrote:
>Try running gpmconfig as root. It is a nice script (you can read in
>/usr/sbin/gpmconfig what it does) that takes you by the hand when setting
>up gpm. If you still have a hard time, spell out the gpm and gpm.conf
>manpages and try again.

I did that ( run gpmconfig) and now i know how i came about to have entries
like
 "device=help"  in my   /etc/gpm.conf:
During installation gpmconfig was started  and i entered "help" when i did
not know what to enter.

Joost Kooij wrote:
>Never just delete scripts from /etc/init.d . That is a senseless thing to
>do, because it isn't necessary at all. All that is needed is to delete the
>link to /etc/init.d/gpm in /etc/rc*:
>
>kooij@pc47:/home/kooij> $ find /etc/rc* -type l -name "*gpm*"
>/etc/rc0.d/K20gpm
>/etc/rc1.d/K20gpm
>/etc/rc2.d/S20gpm
>/etc/rc3.d/S20gpm
>/etc/rc4.d/S20gpm
>/etc/rc5.d/S20gpm
>/etc/rc6.d/K20gpm

Actually, i had just inserted the line
exit 0
at the beginning of  /etc/init.d/gpm, but i will heed your advice for the
future.

Thank-you again

Gabor Kontur
KGabor@compuserve.com