FTP installing (Hamm)

Background: Massive failures caused by some badly-done gunking around with my
	1.3 system made me re-install my system, so I decided to go ahead and
	try to update to hamm using install floppies and FTP.

The Setup: Some Floppies, A computer that had a modem for a PPP connection to
	work, and a BNC ethernet connection (using a NE-2000 compatible
	net card at 0x6100). Either one could be used to access the world
	(although the Ethernet goes through a gateway located at 192.168.0.1)

The attempt: Installing the base disks was a breeze, although I constantly get
	IDE reset messages. I select modules for both ppp and ne-2000 (which
	is sucessfully detected), assuming that I should be able to install
	via FTP using one mthod or the other.

The Problem: Once I get into the actual system, it seems to have ignored my
	network settings (ifconfig and route both return just loopback
	settings) and /proc/devices doesn't have an eth device listed. So
	I try to run pppd-- apparently my old scripts won't work as it doesn't
	recognize the command "+ua" anymore.

Any help or suggestions?

--Mike