Re: Debian Linux Problem

Hi,

> find out what is going on in your X configuration.  What you could do stop
> the xserver from trying to load is telnet in and kill the xdm process.  I

You're suggesting that he telnet in as root?  Dangerous :)

Hopefully, if you've installed an encrypting telnet such as SSLtelnet on
both machines, or better yet Secure Shell.

Why don't you just boot in single user mode as suggested earlier today by
some one on this list by entering "linux single" at the lilo boot prompt.
Otherwise, boot using the rescue disk then mount the root file system and
then edit whatever you need to disable xdm temporarily.  For example, you
could temporarily move /etc/init.d/xdm to /etc/init.d/xdm.orig.
Afterward, you should be able to reboot without xdm starting up.  Make
whatever corrections you need to at this point.  After the corrections are
done move the xdm.orig file back to /etc/init.d/xdm.  If you are sure
everything is alright, start xdm by issuing the command "/etc/init.d/xdm
start," or just reboot.

The single user mode option is more preferrable, I believe.

-Ossama