Re: regular expressions

> Howdy all.....:-)
>
> During a chat with a linux developer, he mentioned that OS/2 (plus DOS and
> Windows) didn't support "regular expressions".  From what I have been able to
> gather from reading app docs (like the EPM INF file) , *nix ported to OS/2 app
> docs and shareware descriptions, it would appear that OS/2 does indeed support
> regular expressions.
>
> 1)  What is the definition of  "regular expressions"?  (A url to grab a tutorial
> would also be great)

There is a description in the man page of `grep'.
If you install the regex0 and regex-dev packages (that's in bo, don't
know about hamm), then you'll get some more info with `info regex'.  I
don't know about tutorials of any kind.

> 2)  Are there any great differences between the way(s) that Linux supports
> (integrates???) regular expressions and the way OS/2 does?

Regular expressions are not really part of linux as an operating
system.  It is a powerful set of matching search patterns that is used
a lot for searching in many unix programs.  The reason they are so
widespread is that there are widely available libraries in C that
implement them.  That means that you can use them easily in your own
programs using regcomp, regexec, regfree and regerror (posix) or re_comp
and re_exec (bsd).  There really is no reason they could not be used
under OS/2, Windows9x, or MacOS, it is just that in unix they are a de
facto standard, whereas on other OS's they are rare.

> 3)  A couple of messages I ran across on DejaNews seemed to imply that REXX
> supports regular expressions.  Would this be an integrated function of REXX or
> just indicative that a person could 'roll their own" with REXX?

I wouldn't be surprised if they actually were a standard part of REXX.
If they are not, you should be able to program them in REXX.

Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032