regular expressions

Howdy all.....:-)

During a chat with a linux developer, he mentioned that OS/2 (plus DOS and
Windows) didn't support "regular expressions".  From what I have been able to
gather from reading app docs (like the EPM INF file) , *nix ported to OS/2 app
docs and shareware descriptions, it would appear that OS/2 does indeed support
regular expressions.

1)  What is the definition of  "regular expressions"?  (A url to grab a tutorial
would also be great)

2)  Are there any great differences between the way(s) that Linux supports
(integrates???) regular expressions and the way OS/2 does?

3)  A couple of messages I ran across on DejaNews seemed to imply that REXX
supports regular expressions.  Would this be an integrated function of REXX or
just indicative that a person could 'roll their own" with REXX?

Any thoughts on the above would be appreciated.........:-)