Re: Ooooh A new HDD!

It greatly depends on what you do.  cd to / as root and try the following:

du -s /usr

du -s /var

WHichever reports the larger number should probably go on the new drive.
As for making it appear as part of the original drive, that is what
/etc/fstab is for.  Firstly, take the system down to single-user made with
init 1 and then mount the new drive under /mnt.  You then cd to /usr or
/var and do a cp -ar * /mnt to copy everything over. Now edit the
/etc/fstab to make an entry to mount the new disk as /usr.  Now, reboot
and verify that the new disk mounted on /usr by doing a mount or df
command after the reboot.  If it mounted properly, take the system back to
single user mode, unmount the /usr partition then cd to /usr and delete
the old /usr directory with rm -rf * but DO NOT DO this rm command until
you have gotten the new partition to mount properly as /usr.

Then reboot the system and you should be all set!

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Michael Beattie wrote:

> I have aquired an old.... yes old... HDD, only 106 MB, but I am a poor
> student, and cant afford to splash out on SCSI and 4.whatever Gigs, so I
> want to out it in as an extra linux drive.
>
> I currently have a 1.2 Gig (IDE :) ) with two DOS partition's, (under
> 509.9 MB to beat slack space) one 509MB the other about 489, so that
> leaves me with about 225 for linux.. I have a 30MB swap partition, and a
> 195 MB linux partition... *SOB* anyway, I want to put in this new HDD, but
> I have no idea how to split up my stuff... should I put /usr on it? or
> what? I have no idea... I also like the idea of making appear as part of
> my original drive, how is that done? is that RAID-0? or is that only for
> SCSI?
>
> Any hints/comments/flames.. ooops, not that last one - will be welcome!
>

>                        Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)

George Bonser
Just be thankful that Microsoft does not manufacture pharmaceuticals.
http://www.debian.org