Re: Reboot Cycle

You need to download the "special" Rescue disk image from:

ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/linux/debian/stable/disks-i386/current/special/tecra

Boot off this disk using "rescue root=/dev/hdaX" where X=partition number
where Linux is installed.  (i.e. 1 if that's all you've got installed on the
machine.)

Once you're booted, you'll have to build a new kernel to fix the problem.
(Or move the kernel off the boot floppy and use that....  But I've always
just built a new(er) kernel.)  I've never investigated the reason for the
problem; however, it is a known one - thus the "special" kernel for Toshiba
laptops.  Rebuilding the kernel with only the features I want (for my
notebook) gives me a kernel that works, so I assume that the "stock"
installation kernel contains hardware support that is incompatible with the
Toshiba laptops....

Incidently, I'm writing you this message from a Tecra 720 that dual-boots
Debian 1.3.x and Win95 (but I don't inhale!... <grin>.... my work requires
it)....

Good luck!

Regards,
Kevin Traas