Re: smail help required [urgentish]

On Wed, Mar 25, 1998 at 01:17:25PM +0100, Soenke Lange wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 25, 1998 at 01:51:20PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > I just upgraded to smail 3.2.0.101-3, something I've been dreading.
> > With good reason; even though I haven't enabled any anti-SPAM
> > features it says nobody is allowed to send it mail.

> The debian version of smail is configured, so that any antispam feature
> are disabled by default .....
>
> urgs .. maybe there is something going wrong with inetd.conf or with the
> daemon mode ...
>
> please take a look at /etc/inetd.conf if the smtp field is disabled.
> If it is and you want to run smail thru inetd then delete the # infront of
> it ...
>
> it should look like
> smtp   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/in.smtpd

Thanks Soenke. After I re-enabled it in inetd, it works perfectly.
Doesn't work in daemon mode, with the same configuration! Also my configuration
has always been inetd mode, but the upgrade appeared to turn that
off and if I recall correctly did not start the daemon either.
I started the daemon and found it did not work correctly.

thanks,
Hamish