Re: Running X11 over a network

Hi Rainer  :-)

In article <[🔎] 19980324115928.30187@trans>, Rainer Clasen <clasen@gmx.net>
writes

>Ben Pfaff (pfaffben@pilot.msu.edu):
>
>> Try this, which is slightly different:
>>
>> * Give 192.168.1.1 to the laptop.
>> * Give 192.168.1.2 to the desktop.
>> * Install any X software you want, but no xserver package, on the laptop.
>> * Install only xserver-* (whichever you need), xbase, xlib6g on the server.
>
>> * On the laptop do `export DISPLAY=192.168.1.2:0' in bash.
>> * Run `startx', then `xhost +192.168.1.1' on the 486.
>> * Run your xclients from the laptop command line.
>
>How about running 'X -query 192.168.1.1' on the desktop?
>This should give you the XDM-login of your laptop. IIRC every host can
>connect to an XDM by default. Otherwise you need to add a line with a * to
>/etc/X11/Xaccess.

Just to clarify...

So I skip the export, startx and xhost steps replacing them with X -q...
on the desktop. Packages installed as above, uses window manager on the
laptop? Does XDM require you to log in? If so, can I make it
automatically send the info I used to log in to the console (both will
have identical user details).

BTW, does the laptop need xbase and xlib6g?

Thanks
Ian
--
Ian Lynagh - ian@lynagh.demon.co.uk