Re: TRANSLATION Re: the instructions for win95 under dosemu

On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, Nelson Posse Lago wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Mar 1998, Wesley Hart wrote:
>
> > And Luiz Otavio L. Zorzella spake, saying:
> > > 2.B) he is lying
> > >      To lie is a bad thing, but people do it. Things that make me
> >
> > Let's not forget how close we are to April 1st - I think we've been
> > the victims of a (fairly sucessful) April Fools prank.
>
> Nope... it was me who first posted this to the list, and I was *not*
> trying to fool anybody;

That's me again, these are the relevant points he mentions in the HOWTO
(don't remember if the translation posted included everything):

1. Dosemu must be run as root; he mentions running as root or using "su";
Since he doesn't mention running suid, maybe dosemu acts differently
running as root from running suid root (??).

2. EMS, XMS and DPMI should have 64M configured each.

3. You must have at least 200M swap.

4. You should umount all dos partitions that are to be used by dosemu.

5. He says you should leave X before running dosemu (?).

6. To switch virtual consoles, first open a DOS session under win95.

7. Formatting a disk and accessing the CD-ROM don't work for him, and only
SB16 audio card is expected to work.

8. The rest is in his dosemu configuration file:
http://www.pro-unix.org/~puma/dosemu.conf

Note that his video card is a Trident-based card, which is a very common
card in Brazil, but maybe not that much in the US.

I would also point that maybe there are problems with svgatextmode, since
it reconfigures the video hardware in a way that may make dos7/win95
choke. He also noted the problems with codepage and country setup on an
email later. Finally, the fact that his dosemu is set to boot from drive
A: may have some meaning; you may try to create a bootable win95 disk
(really bootable, not the "emergency disk" win creates; try copying all
files from the HD's root dir to a diskette, except for the swapfile,
don't forget the system and hidden files). He says exploder/netscape
worked, which kinda puzzles me. And he uses slackware, who knows if that
may mean something...

Well, that's it. If this is just a joke, I'm sorry I was the one who
brought the subject up here...

Nelson
lago@that.com.br
That's Internet!