Install troubles

Howdy! I'm trying to install Debian 1.3.1 onto my no-name system. I wrote a
CD with the standard distribution CD image, and wrote a Rescue disk to
install with. When I boot my system with the Rescue disk, it runs the
loader, loads and decompresses linux, and begins the boot process. However,
at some point (I don't know where), it reboots my computer. This makes it
awful tough to see where it's failing, or in what way, since the screen's
gone in less than an eyeblink.

My system is a EFA P5TVX motherboard with 40MB RAM. It's got several cards
in it, but nothing too out-of-the-ordinary: a Diamond Stealth 3D 3000 board,
a Televideo sound board, an internal modem (cheap off-brand), and a NE2000
clone network card.

I realize that I'm using cheap components, so I can't expect them to work
perfectly, but this business of rebooting during install is a little
disconcerting. Anyone have any clue what I should look for?

---
 Wolf Lochland Logan                      Ohlone Costanoan Esselen Nation
                 xue elo xonia eune - I come from the rock
 The fact is, there may be hope                  http://www.talamasca.org