Ultra ATA Hard Drives

I'm trying to install Debian on a friend's computer. She has a Gateway
G6-233 with a Promise Ultra ATA harddrive controller card and a Western
Digital Caviar UATA-IDE 4GB . The installer doesn't pick up the hard
drive at all if it is connected to the Promise board. When connected to
the motherboard, the drive won't boot into win95 and it fails linux's
bad block scan when trying to create linux partitions.

Is it possible to set up Linux on an Ultra ATA hard drive at this point?
If so, can you point me to some details on how? I tried Deja News, but
the messages seemed inconclusive.

Thank you for your time,

John Paul