ppp drops while in X

Hello,

	When I am using programs in X, my ppp connection drops with a
SIGHUP every few minutes with no apparent reason. After a little
experimentation, I discovered I could make it happen every time by surfing
to the GNOME page (Netscape 4.04) and pressing Page Up, the Page Down and
... dropped connection. This happens everytime without fail. Other actions
also seem to cause the drop, like closing down the LyX program. When I
tried the scwm, just starting X, with startx, would cause the connection
to drop. So I switched back to fvwm.

	When I use ppp from the console, the connection remains connected
until I poff it. Although it has dropped now and again in console too, so
it may not be an X problem -- only aggrevated by X somehow.

	This is really frustrating me. I am not sure when this all
started, a few weeks ago I guess. I am running an up-to-date hamm system
but hamm is not the problem because I installed 1.3.1 with the same
results.

Any advice or hints on how to diagnose the problem would be appreciated.

Jim