Re: fat -> ext2

   > I'm a little confused about what you mean by `original filename'.  The
   > file on the fat partition has a filename, right?  Isn't this the
   > original filename and can't you copy it to the ext2 partition with the
   > same name?

   Sorry, I have a file that started out as say 'filename' that was transfered
   to a fat filesystem and was renamed by the system to 'filena~1'.  Is there
   an algorithm or way to retreive the original filename?

Nope.  Unless the `dos' partition is actually a `vfat' partition that
isn't mounted as `vfat', then there is no way to recover these,
because it is not stored anywhere in the filesystem.  OTOH, sometimes
(depending on Lose95 setup), Lose95 will store the *first* file that's
too long (`longfilename1') as the ordinary, but truncated name
(`longfile'), and only store additional files having the same prefix
with ~X (`longfilename2' as `longfi~1').  You can recover two
characters this way if you go on this assumption, but not more.