Complex lilo setup for starters: use loadlin

On Sat, 21 Mar 1998, Martin Schulze wrote:

> Please answer this guy.

Hi cal1,

What you want to do is not really very standard. You can do it with lilo,
but it is just quite complicated and requires a reasonably good insight
into the workings of the computer's boot process, master boot records
(there are more functional alternatives to the microsoft one) and the way
lilo works.

I advise you to look into loadlin. Loadlin is a dos program that allows
you to boot a linux kernel image placed in a directory on your dos
partition. That way you can keep win95's mbr untouched. To boot into
linux, you'd go to dos (I'm not sure if only a dos box suffices) and type
something like

CD \LINUX
LOADLIN VMLINUZ

assuming that C:\LINUX\VMLINUZ is the kernel image and that that
particular image knows that its root partition is on /dev/hdb1. This can
be given as a commandline option or (better) written to the image with the
rdev command. You'd have to do the latter while in linux of course.

Cheers,

Joost