Re: On Debian, currently.

    > (1) The stable version is stable (really runs for days,
    > months, years, etc.).  The MTBF becomes tied to hardware
    > failures (hard drives being the most vulnerable) not
    > software.

Absolutely.  We've run a data acquisition and control system using
a Debian 1.2 machine.  Since the project started about 15 months
ago, typical uptimes have been 50-60 days with reboots due to
hardware adjustments or our own mistakes in daq, along with the
occasional longterm power failure.  Never had the Debian end of
the software crash.

Michael A. Miller                                miller5@uiuc.edu
  Department of Physics, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
  PGP public key available on request