Re: On Debian, currently.

    > (1) The stable version is stable (really runs for days,
    > months, years, etc.).  The MTBF becomes tied to hardware
    > failures (hard drives being the most vulnerable) not
    > software.

Absolutely.  We've run a data acquisition and control system using
a Debian 1.2 machine.  Since the project started about 15 months
ago, typical uptimes have been 50-60 days with reboots due to
hardware adjustments or our own mistakes in daq, along with the
occasional longterm power failure.  Never had the Debian end of
the software crash.

Mike

--
Michael A. Miller                                miller5@uiuc.edu
  Department of Physics, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign