Now he's a liar, too

Yep, I lied.  I thought I had posted my last message of the day, but there
has been an outpouring of requests for the loggin surrounding my PPP
problem.  I concede that I should have included it in my original posting.

There have also been requests for my config files.  As I've explained to
several individual respondents, the "box in question" is at home and I'm at
work, so I don't have access to those files.  One respondent did mention
that I might check the permissions on those files (a good idea, and one
that I'm ashamed to have not come up with on my own), so I'll do that when
I get home (or maybe have my wife look for me -- no, probably not. :)

Anyway, here are the highlights of the logging generated by a vanilla
unsuccessful request:

chat[5737]SIGHUP
chat[5737]Can't restore terminal parameters: I/O error
pppd[5747]: pppd 2.2.0 started by root, uid 0
pppd[5747]: Removed stale lock on ttyS2 (pid 5729(
chat[5748]: abort on (BUSY)
chat[5748]: abort on (NO CARRIER)
chat[5748]: abort on (VOICE)
chat[5748]: abort on (NO DIALTONE)
chat[5748]: send (ATDT4042873038^^M)
chat[5748]: expect (ogin)
kernel: PPP: ppp line discipline successfully unregistered
chat[5748]: ATDT4042873038^^M^^M
chat[5748]: alarm
chat[5748]: Failed
pppd[5747]: Connect script failed

By the way, I'm very impressed and pleased by the vast and rapid response.
At the same time, it's troubling to see the negative thoughts floating
around about the future of Debian.  Of course, the two threads contradict
each other, don't they?  The success of any product is directly
proportional to the support of it's users.  That's my initial impression,
anyway.

While I'm not an application developer and cannot help on that side of
things, I am a rather experienced web developer. If my services could be
used for the further advancement of Debian's mission, I'm sure you'll let
me know.

Thanks,

John