RE: Netscape Communicator and Mail

Hi,

I have read the PPP-HOWTO and README.debian.gz and also the "Debian User Book"
and no use. Maybe I'm so dumb that I cannot compile what you guys are writing
there. I WIn95 it was so easy to make a ppp connection ... 8-(

The only thing I was able to do was to connect to my phone to my ISP with
minicom. But minicom didn't connect. Maybe because my ISP require a PAP
authentication ? Anyhow, after I've wrote several configuration files, now I'm
in the situation that the computer try to open the line, but the modem get no
dial tome and because of that fails. It doesn't event get to ring my ISP !

Please help me.

Here are the configuration files I have try to use:
===================ppp.chatscript======================
ABORT        BUSY
ABORT        "NO CARRIER"
ABORT        VOICE
ABORT	     "NO DIALTONE"
"" 	     AT&F\r
OK           ATDP2221479\r
ogin         _my_account_\r
word         \q_my_password_\q
===================ppp.options_out=====================
defaultroute /dev/ttyS1 38400 persist
user _my_account_
===================options=====================
dns-addr 195.179.251.65
asyncmap 0
crtscts
lock
modem
debug
kdebug 1
proxyarp
lcp-echo-interval 30
lcp-echo-failure 4
===================pap-secrets=====================
*	os	""
guest	os	"*"	-
master	os	"*"	-
root	os	"*"	-
support	os	"*"	-
stats	os	"*"	-
os	*	password

The _my_account_ and _my_password_ are for the account and passowrd I use on my
ISP. Otherwise, the files are those I used. I try to connect using "pon", but
as I have said, with no succes. I will write again my hardware and ISP data:

IP: dynamical assigned
DNS: 195.179.251.65
phone number: 2221479 (pulse line)
username: _my_account_ (with PAP authentication)
password: ****
e-mail account: borco@mailbox.ro
SMTP: mail.mailbox.ro
POP3: mail.mailbox.ro
modem: USRobotics Sportster Flash (extern on COM2)

TIA

Ionutz

On Thursday, March 19, 1998 2:28 AM, shaul@rakefet.debian.org
[SMTP:shaul@rakefet.debian.org] wrote:
> I suggest that beside the PPP-HOWTO you'll read
/usr/doc/ppp/README.debian.gz,