Re: netscape: locale 'C' not supported

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Chris Hall wrote:

> anyways, on 3/19/98, i ran dselect in order to update my Debian 2.0 (hamm)
> system...everything has been kosher up until this point.  i noticed
> several packages were listed as being obsolete but had never really paid
> any attention to them until now when i decided that since they were marked
> obsolete it would be okay to get rid of them, now i don't know exactly which
> ones, but i did manage to get a partial list from another co-worker who
> has not removed these packages.  i realize it was an idiotic move to do this
> but didn't realize it until after-the-fact...so please be kind...

Uh-oh!

The archive was a little fscked lately, due to several reasons. But that's
why unstable is called unstable - it is the distribution that is being
worked on. You'll have to know a little what you do and how to cope if you
decide to run unstable.

> this is what i have so far...please let me know if there are others...
>
> base 1.1.0-14

IIRC this package has been obsolete for a long time? It has been replaced
by base-files and should no longer appear in dselect's list.

> dlltools 2.17.14
> giflib3g 3.0-4.1
> gnome-icons 0.12-1
> libmagick 3.9.0-1
> modutils 2.0.0-11
> qtg1-dev 1.31-1.3
> svgalibg1 1.2.13-1
> xlib6 3.3.1-2

These packages had bugs and were temporarily removed from the "frozen"
unstable distribution to stress that they should be fixed before release.

> now, i went ahead and removed the obsolete packages from my system and all
> hell broke loose. i managed to find xlib 3.3.1-2 package and reinstalled it
> which solved numerous lib problems but i still get the following error when
> running netscape:
>
> gub@worlok:~> netscape
>
> netscape: locale ' not supported.
>
> i tried reinstalling netscape (4.04), no effect

Did you use the wrapper package to install Netscape? It has all the proper
depends on packages that Netscape needs and makes that chance that
Netscape crashes minimal. The installer also tells you what to set
XNLSPATH to.

> i tried installing the locale package, but no effect

Did you try installing the "locales" package? It has superceded the old
"locale" package.

Good luck,

Joost