netscape: locale 'C' not supported

okay, i have a no-so-major problem and it may have been discussed before,
however, i just subscribed to the list so forgive me if i am being
redundant...

anyways, on 3/19/98, i ran dselect in order to update my Debian 2.0 (hamm)
system...everything has been kosher up until this point.  i noticed
several packages were listed as being obsolete but had never really paid
any attention to them until now when i decided that since they were marked
obsolete it would be okay to get rid of them, now i don't know exactly which
ones, but i did manage to get a partial list from another co-worker who
has not removed these packages.  i realize it was an idiotic move to do this
but didn't realize it until after-the-fact...so please be kind...

this is what i have so far...please let me know if there are others...

base 1.1.0-14
dlltools 2.17.14
giflib3g 3.0-4.1
gnome-icons 0.12-1
libmagick 3.9.0-1
modutils 2.0.0-11
qtg1-dev 1.31-1.3
svgalibg1 1.2.13-1
xlib6 3.3.1-2

now, i went ahead and removed the obsolete packages from my system and all
hell broke loose. i managed to find xlib 3.3.1-2 package and reinstalled it
which solved numerous lib problems but i still get the following error when
running netscape:

---begin snippet---

gub@worlok:~> netscape

netscape: locale ' not supported.

        If the $XNLSPATH directory does not contain the proper config files,
        Netscape will crash the first time you try to paste into a text
        field.  (This is a bug in the X11R5 libraries against which this
        program was linked.)

        Since neither X11R4 nor X11R6 come with these config files, we have
        included them with the Netscape distribution.  The normal place
        for these files is /usr/X386/lib/X11/nls/.
    If you can't create that
        directory, you should set the $XNLSPATH environment variable to
        point at the place where you installed the files.

Bus error

----end snippet---

i tried reinstalling netscape (4.04), no effect
i tried installing the locale package, but no effect
i also tried installing the motifnls package, but again, no effect
i set XNLSPATH=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/nls, again, no effect
i set XNLSPATH=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale (grabbing at anything here), no effect

is the bus error part of the locale problem, or something entirely different?

all the packages on my system are the latest from the hamm release, let me.

i would be extremely grateful for any info, direction, assistance, you name it
to get my system back to "normal"

i searched the buglist for any info on this but could find nothing

chris hall
gub@worlok.technobabel.com
[ I can picture a perfect world, a world without hate, a world without     ]
[ violence. And I can picture us attacking that world because they'd never ]
[ expect it.  --source unknown                                             ]