Recreating Installed Package Lists

Hi:

I did a stupid thing... I accidently blew away a bunch of stuff in
/var/lib/dpkg   I didn't think things were working correctly, and I
wanted a fresh start with dselect. Obviously, I know better now, and I
just restored from tape.

This does pose an interesting question, though. Is it possible to
"re-create" which packages and versions are on a system, so dselect
doesn't complain about dependencies?

For example, before I restored from tape, I tried to install package X.
X depends on Perl, which dselect said I didn't have. Well, I do, but not
to its knowledge....  Is this info stored anywhere else besides
/var/lib/dpkg that i could have recreated from?

Thanks for any help.

Mark