Re: qpopper, and APOP

The only email client I know of which supports APOP is Eudora. I can assure you
Netscape 4 doesn't. Also note that neither qpopper or cucipop (at least not the
versions I've tried) has support for this enabled, though cucipop is capable. I
compiled and tested my own cucipop from source and it worked fine. Note also that
the server has to keep the user's passwords as cleartext in order to function.
This means that 1) there's a danger since if someone can read the file they get
the passwords and 2) you can't just use /etc/passwd since the passwords there are
already crypt()'ed. The best solution I could come up with would be to has
cucipop use /etc/passwd (or /etc/shadow) and to give users their hashed passwords
to enter when prompted for the password. Then the users can get their mail with
Eudora but they have to remember a (seemingly) random string of characters.
Naturally if you give a user such a string to "remember" they'll write it down on
paper.

finn@midco.net wrote:

> I'm a bit confused about APOP ... when is this useful?  Oh, I know it
> prevents users from sending cleartext passwords over the net, but what
> supports APOP?  Most Windows apps sure don't seem to, and those are what
> I need to support, unfortunately ...
>
> If someone could shed some light on this I'd be most grateful :)
>
> --
> Nathan Norman
> MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104
> mailto://finn@midco.net   http://www.midco.net
> finger finn@kepler.midco.net for PGP Key: (0xA33B86E9)
>
> --

Jens B. Jorgensen