Re: Windows under DosEmu

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 17, 1998 at 01:41:52PM -0300, Nelson Posse Lago wrote:
>
> > I think win95 will accept to run
> > under DMPI, which dosemu emulates, and that's the "trick".
>
> Could you elaborate a bit on the term DMPI? What does it mean and what is it
> telling Win95?

Well, since this doesn't really belong much in debian-user (and since I
don't know the details ;-), I'll be very brief.

DPMI is a dos-world invention, it stands for "Dos Protected Mode
Interface". You get a program like qemm386 and load it in config.sys; it
puts the cpu in protected mode, becoming the "master" of the cpu; then it
opens a virtual 8086 machine and runs dos inside it. From within this dos
virtual machine, you have access to some basic features from the protected
mode cpu using a software interface to talk to qemm386. This software
interface is DPMI. Autocad for DOS, ghostscript for DOS and some games and
compilers for DOS are examples of programs that make use of DPMI; it
allows these programs access to the total memory of the system (not only
640K) while still running inside dos. When a "normal" dos service is
needed, everything runs inside the virtual 8086 dos machine.

I think win95 usually "takes control" of the cpu (as much as it can, which
is not much ;-), but can also work under DPMI (so it will work if you have
Qemm386 in config.sys). This is what allows it to work under dosemu.

I'm sure the above explanation has lots of flaws, but you get the idea...
But the best thing to do is backup everything and experiment with it! From
the reports, performance is quite ok (no objective testing, but the system
feels "as fast as usual"). And since you still get your win crashes now
and then, you won't notice the difference ;-)

See ya
Nelson
lago@that.com.br
That's Internet!

It's all true, and you don't know nothing yet.