Re: Windows under DosEmu

On Tue, Mar 17, 1998 at 01:41:52PM -0300, Nelson Posse Lago wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> > > Are you saying that Win95 will run under Dosemu?  Really?  Please?  :)
>
> Yes, that's exaclty what I'm saying.
>
> > Sure. And Linux does infinite loops in 5 seconds.
>
> Yep, everybody knows linux is really cool :-)))

You are right, I give up ;)_

> > Oh, come on, guys. Win95 runs in ring 0, this is a no-no under Linux,
> > because this is kernel mode.
>
> Well, I thought so also, but I've seen reports of success from people that
> wouldn't be spreading misinformation. I think win95 will accept to run
> under DMPI, which dosemu emulates, and that's the "trick". There have been
> reports of success and of problems, but quite a few people seem to have
> done it, and they state it runs ok. They have also reported a few
> filesystem wipe-outs before success too ;-) .

Could you elaborate a bit on the term DMPI? What does it mean and what is it
telling Win95?

> Now, the problem is that you have to give direct access to the win95
> partition, which means if win95 goes south (I think this happens
> sometimes ;-), linux is not able to "protect" that filesystem, and you
> don't have permissions etc. The only advantage of doing this is not
> having to reboot (which is cool enough).

I wouldn't care about win95 partitions anyway ;)

It sounded first like those "Nintendo 64 emulator on ZX Spectrum" news, but
if it is really possible, well. People, I smell world domination!

Marcus