Re: lilo, linux and win95

On 18 Mar 1998 21:18:15 +1200, Carey Evans wrote:

> I don't think so.  My PC at work, using IBM's BootManager (available
> in OS/2 and Partition Magic) has:
>
> ----- lilo.conf -----
> boot=/dev/hda6
> root=/dev/hda6
> ---------------------
>
> The normal MBR probably can't load this though.

I don't have enough experience using the MBR for the lilo boot sector
to respond directly to this.

I believe the lilo "manual" document was rewritten middle-late last
year(June-September), and that there used to be some citations of
unusual practices (I know there are still some good examples in there,
but that's not what I'm talking about), so I don't doubt that this is
possible.  There was also a wish list which had more interesting ideas.

Unless I've misinterpretted the lilo documentation (which
coincidentally may not be up to date), your configuration seems atleast
atypical, and not within the scope of documented behavior.  However,
you're a Linux god, and I'm a mere mortal, so for anyone reading this,
consider the source! :-)

> I don't think it's possible to put a logical partition on a disk
> without it being in an extended partiton.  fdisk might let you create
> the logical partition without explicitly creating the extended
> partition, but it has to do it anyway.

You're inferring that fdisk implicitly creates an extended partition if
a logical partition is specified, but no extended partition exists, or
the logical partition cylinders are not within the boundaries of the
extended partition, and that it is displayed in fdisk?

That's not what I'm saying.  I'm saying that not only can a logical be
created without being created within an extended partition, but that it
can exist without an extended partition, or at least outside of any
extended partition displayed by fdisk.

It's been quite a while since I've experimented with this, and I don't
have a spare drive to fdisk right now, so I can't tell you how many
logical partitions can be created without, or outside of, an extended
partition, but even one seems inappropriate.  However, since I've never
seen mention of this in the fdisk documentation, I can't say for sure.

--
David Stern