Re: lilo, linux and win95

Someone responded to me personally:
> David Stern, kotsya@u.washington.edu on 3/14/98 11:44 AM
> >
> >If you pick the mbr, say goodbye to your win95 bootloader, because lilo
> >will overwrite the win95 bootloader (you won't be able to boot win95).
> >Actually, there should be one backup copy to restore from.  However, if
> >you keep each os'es bootloader on their own partition, you can just
> >change the active (bootable) partition to get the other os, should lilo
> >fail for any reason.  This, you can safely and easily do with either
> >linux or dos fdisk, and this  eliminates the problem of one boot record
> >overwriting the other.

> That's not true... You can install on the MBR and have LILO boot to
> Windows. I had my computer set up that way for several months before
> Windows ate itself and I decided I didn't want to reinstall it. Much
> easier than messing with partition maps every time you want to boot to
> another OS.

This is a good point that deserves public mention.  A sworn witness has
testified that it's possible, and I recall it in the docs, so
apparently it IS possible to let win95's boot loader and lilo's both
reside on the MBR.  Just don't ask me how.

Everytime I tried it, windows was unbootable until I restored the MBR.
After many restorations, I had chance to find the backup copy no longer
valid on several occasions (requiring me to reinstall winNT), and after
tiring of this, I ultimately submitted defeat.

The part about running each os'es boot loader on it's own partition
(not shown) still works quite well.
--
David Stern