Re: [Q] XDM -- how to reconfigure

On Thu, Mar 12, 1998 at 09:23:05AM -0500, Vladislav Papayan x285 wrote:
> Hello,
> When installing debian I was suggested by the installation program
> to use XDM to start X windows.  I now understand that I do not want
> that.  However I can only use startx command (what I was using before
> the new installation) if logged in as root.  I would like to use
> startx command to start xwindows for regular users.  Is there a way to
> reconfigure xwindows or xdm to ask me that question about whether I
> want to use xdm again so I can answer 'No'.

See /usr/doc/X11.

The second line in /etc/X11/Xserver should probably be "Console" (no
quotes).  In /etc/X11/config, replace "start-xdm" with "no-start-xdm" or
"# start-xdm".

I think this is correct, but I haven't tested it recently.

> Another question is: I would like to know whether it is possible to
> switch back and forth between Xwindows and a full screen terminal
> (sort of like in NT where I can have a full screen command promt and
> switch from and to it).

<Ctrl-Alt-FX>

where X is 1 to 6 for the standard Debian distribution terminals.  7 is
the default X display.

Lee Bradshaw                 lee.bradshaw@mindspring.com