[Q] XDM -- how to reconfigure

Hello,
When installing debian I was suggested by the installation program to
use XDM to start X windows.
I now understand that I do not want that.  However I can only use startx
command (what I was using
before the new installation) if logged in as root.  I would like to use
startx command to start
xwindows for regular users.   Is there a way to reconfigure xwindows or
xdm to ask me that
question about whether I want to use xdm again so I can answer 'No'.

Another question is: I would like to know whether it is  possible to
switch back and forth between Xwindows and a full screen terminal (sort
of like in
NT where I can have a full screen command promt and switch from and to
it).

Thanks in advance,
Vladislav