Re: [Q] XDM -- how to reconfigure

Vladislav Papayan x285 <vlpa@BR1.Daleen.com> writes:

> Hello,
> When installing debian I was suggested by the installation program to
> use XDM to start X windows.
> I now understand that I do not want that.  However I can only use startx
> command (what I was using
> before the new installation) if logged in as root.  I would like to use
> startx command to start
> xwindows for regular users.   Is there a way to reconfigure xwindows or
> xdm to ask me that
> question about whether I want to use xdm again so I can answer 'No'.

Well, you can run xbase-configure to get asked the question again, but
it's just as easy to edit the config. files yourself.  Just comment
out the line saying "start-xdm" in your /etc/X11/config, and xdm won't
start up anymore.  To shut down xdm, after having made the change so
that it won't start at boot time, you then still need to do
/etc/init.d/xdm stop
I recommend NOT doing this while logged in through X - use one of the
text consoles (see below).
To allow anyone physically at the machine to start up X windows, not
just root, modify /etc/X11/Xserver and make the second line
"Console".  Anyone logged in to one of the text consoles can now start
X with the "startx" command.

> Another question is: I would like to know whether it is  possible to
> switch back and forth between Xwindows and a full screen terminal (sort
> of like in
> NT where I can have a full screen command promt and switch from and to
> it).

You can switch to any of the text consoles with Ctrl-Alt-Fn (where n
is from 1 to 6).  You can switch back to X with Ctrl-Alt-F7 (or in
fact, just with Alt-F7 - the reason you need a Ctrl-Alt-Fn instead of
just Alt-Fn to get out of X is that some window managers like to use
the Alt-Fn keys themselves).