Recommend an ODBC-compliant database for Linux?

I currently have an application running on WinNT/MS SQL Server and I'd
like to port it to Debian.  NT has been a huge hassle.

The app is essentially a daemon that receives diagnostic transactions on
a point-of-sale network, processes them, and puts them in a database.
It handles about 30-40 tps peak, but sits idle most of the time.
The hardware it runs on is a P5-133 with 96MB of memory, a BusLogic
BT-946C, and a Seagate Cheetah 9GB.  End users access the data with
Microsoft Access, via ODBC.

I just evaluated Raima's Velocis Server 2.0.  I'm sending it back because
the ODBC driver is buggy and SLOW.  Common ODBC operations take 10-20
times as long as SQL server takes.

Does anyone have experience with anything else?  I.e., Empress, others?
What's out there?  I really need some ideas.

Thanks,

Jeff