Re: Recommend an ODBC-compliant database for Linux?

Jeff Noxon <jeff@planetfall.com> writes:

| Does anyone have experience with anything else?  I.e., Empress, others?
| What's out there?  I really need some ideas.

If you plan to run it on a Debian system, I'd like to suggest
MySQL. It's available as a Debian package and there's a Win32
ODBC driver for it too (just get it from their homepage
http://www.tcx.se/). It's free for personal and internal company
use. I don't yet have much experience with it but at least it
looks like a better alternative to Solid, which I have /little/
experience with. (Solid isn't horrible either, quite the
contrary actually, especially for Windows use, but...)

Tools are ok, features look nice (BLOBs, multithreaded, can host
multiple databases, access control), speed is more than good,
there's source :) and it's available as a Debian package -- what
else can I hope for :) ODBC driver works just fine but we
haven't pushed it performance wise, so that aspect is
unknown. We _will_ stress it, though (we plan to dump pretty
large amounts of debug, profile, status, etc. data (per time
unit) from an NT device driver to it) :)

Please notice that I have practically no experience with many
different databases systems, especially commercial ones, so
consider this just as a suggestion for something to check out.

//Hannu