RE: possible network attack question

It is possible that you have a problem with a network card on the same segment that your machine is on (It could be the card in your machine too.)  You really need to do an ethernet sniff to find out if the giant frames are all from the same ethernet address or if they are from different addresses.  If they are all the same address replace the card with that address.  If they are from different hardware addresses try replacing the card in your machine.  If that doesn't sole the problem you need to look deeper into the network - cables, hubs, routers.

Since you indicated the errors are increasing in frequency I suspect a bad network card will be found somewhere on your network (if it hasn't failed totally by now).

While it may be considered "normal" by some people to receive giant ethernet packets, it is usually a sign of a problem somewhere.  The only reason I can see someone saying it is normal is that it does not occur with enough frequency to justify spending time to track the problem down.

Good luck,

Pat Ouellette
Assistant Computer Engineer
Engineering College Computing