RE: possible network attack question

George,

[humor mode on]

To do a network sniff one must procure a very long piece of network cable.  Using you left hand raise the cable to your face just below you nose (about mustache height).  Now inhale with extreme vigor.

[humor mode off]

The only product I've ever user for sniffing is from a company called Network General.  The product is named Sniffer.  If has a bunch of features to view packets (and capture them) off the network without anyone knowing.  A really neat product for computer / network engineers - almost a must have.  You can accomplish your goal by finding a package that detects the error and can display the devices physical network address (MAC address in networking terms).  I haven't looked in Linux for such tools - maybe in the network utilities area (someone help me out here).

Hopefully someone will come to the rescue with a package.  I will look for a package and let you know when I find one.

If you have a spare network card you can always try the low tech approach - replace the card in a machine and wait for about 2 or 3 times the normal error period.  If the errors go away you can take the card out and shoot it.  The problem with this approach is the time to replace the card, wait for the error and repeat the process until the problem is found.

Pat