Re: (smail + pine) reply-to?

On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Ian Keith Setford wrote:

> I have a local lan connected to the Internet through a Pipe 50.  The
> domain I use is real but the domain is NOT routed on the internet right
> now.  I would like to use smail + pine to send messages.  This setup is
> currently working but I would like the "reply-to" action for these
> messages to read my ACTUAL email address.
>
> Example:	twist.lucidity.org--> msg sent to XXX@monolith.org
>
> 			if this person hits "reply" to this msg it
> 			will be undeliverable because lucidity.org
> 			is not routed on the internet.
>
> How can I make the "reply" action on the receivers end to show a different
> email than the address from which I sent it?

Two ways - as some other mentioned, you can configure PINE with the
customized-hdrs option or you can use smail to rewrite your outgoing
headers.

I posted the header rewriting solution yesterday, but only on the german
Mailing list.

Here's how the header rewriting works:

First, add this router to your /etc/smail/routers file:

        smart_host:
                driver=smarthost, transport=smtp-remap;
                path=mail.bingo.baynet.de

Next, you have to add the reffered transport in /etc/smail/transports:

        smtp-remap:
                driver=tcpsmtp, max_addrs=100, -max_chars, inet,
                remove_header="From",
                insert_header="From: ${lookup:from:lsearch{maps/from}{$value}{dg@bingo.baynet.de ($from: $fullname)}}",
                remove_header="Message-ID",
                insert_header="Message-ID: <$id@$primary>",
                insert_header="Sender: ${lookup:from:lsearch{maps/from}{$value}{dg@bingo.baynet.de ($from: $fullname)}}";
                use_bind, defer_no_connect, -local_mx_okay, defnames

Here you have to replace dg@bingo.baynet.de with your primary eMail address
for the case, that the sender could not be matched with the reffered from
map. Create the from map as /etc/smail/maps/from, it should look something
like that

        root    root@goofy (root)
        dg      dg@bingo.baynet.de (Daniel Gross)
        manu    mgross@gmx.net (Manuela Gross)

This means, that every local user is matched to an external eMail address.

Test it, and mail me if you have any problems.

Bye

Daniel Gross

Daniel Gross                                     eMail: dg@bingo.baynet.de
Hollarstrasse 2                                         dgross@gmx.net
D-85053 Ingolstadt, Germany

      ...and before I knew what I was doing, I had kicked the
      typewriter and threw it around the room and made it beg for
      mercy.  At this point the typewriter pleaded for me to dress
      him in feminine attire but instead I pressed his margin release
      over and over again until the typewriter lost consciousness.
      Presently, I regained consciousness and realized with shame what
      I had done.  My shame is gone and now I am looking for a
      submissive typewriter, any color, or model.  No electric
      typewriters please!
                        --Rick Kleiner