Re: (smail + pine) reply-to?

On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Ian Keith Setford wrote:

> I have a local lan connected to the Internet through a Pipe 50.  The
> domain I use is real but the domain is NOT routed on the internet right
> now.  I would like to use smail + pine to send messages.  This setup is
> currently working but I would like the "reply-to" action for these
> messages to read my ACTUAL email address.
>
> Example:	twist.lucidity.org--> msg sent to XXX@monolith.org
>
> 			if this person hits "reply" to this msg it
> 			will be undeliverable because lucidity.org
> 			is not routed on the internet.
>
> How can I make the "reply" action on the receivers end to show a different
> email than the address from which I sent it?

Don't know if I completely follow you but I used to have a linux box on
the net in an old office with the address of terrapin.econ.queensu.ca. I
wanted all my mail to go through our main mail server,
qed.econ.queensu.ca, but I wanted to read and reply on terrapin. To
accomplish this I put a .forward on qed (qed -> terrapin) and then changed
the following line (which was originally empty) in my personal .pinerc:

# Sets domain part of From: and local addresses in outgoing mail.
user-domain=qed.econ.queensu.ca

That worked perfectly. All mail looked like it came from qed. However,
this does not alter the X-Sender. I was going to investigate how I could
change it to qed also, but out of 6 years of running my mail in that
fashion, I only ran across one mailer that sent replies using X-Sender, so
I didn't bother. I noticed that when I set up smail that I had the option
of specifying an outgoing mail address, but changing that to anything
other than terrapin screwed up smail for me (don't recall why).

Anyway, in short, I think changing that one line in .pinerc should do the
trick.

Cheers, Colin.

--
Colin Telmer, Kingston, Ontario, Canada