Re: CNAME records (was: Re: dynamic DNS within a non-dynamic domain)

On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, David Stern wrote:

> > The correct way to solve this is to not use CNAMEs but to just set
> > up an extra A + MX record. Or perhaps just an MX record if all you're
> > using it for is mail.
>
> I don't run sendmail, but what's going on sounds an awful lot like like
> what I'm experiencing with smail, so I'd like to know more about
> "setting up an MX record", whatever that is..   Where can I find out
> about this?
> --

The MX record (Mail eXchange) is on your DNS server. It's what points
incoming mail for "<username>@foo.bar to the appropriate machine to handle
the mail. What's worked for me is the following:

mail			IN	A	10.0.20.1
			IN	MX	10	mail

It's probably not quite kosher (also note that these are my internal DNS
numbers), but it does work. I also have an 'A' record for 'debian' (the
name of our box, real imaginative) pointing to 10.0.20.1.