Re: snmpd weirdness

On Mon, Mar 09, 1998 at 12:03:48PM +0100, Peter Gervai wrote:
> So snmpd. It seems - and some fellow admins reported that they noticed the
> same effetct - that snmpd's ifInOctets and ifOutOctets are incorrect. More
> specifically, they are usually the half of the real values, and in my case
> it seems that ifIn and ifOut is almost the same.

Kernel support for ifInOctets and ifOutOctets was not added until
kernel version 2.1.15.  When snmpd is run on older kernels, the values
of ifInOctets and ifOutOctets are estimated based on the number of
received and transmitted packets.  To get accurate values of
ifInOctets and ifOutOctets, you must run kernel 2.1.15 or later.

David
--
David Engel                        ODS Networks
david@sw.ods.com                   1001 E. Arapaho Road