broken hamm upgrade

Hello,

I've been having a heck of a time upgrading a 1.3.1 bo (originally 1.2)
system to hamm using autoup.  Everything is installed up to libreadlineg2
in the autoup script, then libreadlineg2's post install script bombs out
and leaves the system in an essentially unusable state (nearly everything
dumps core) until the package is removed.

The screen output from the autoup.sh:
Unpacking replacement libreadlineg2 ...
Setting up libreadlineg2 (2.1-7) ...
dpkg: error processing libreadlineg2 (--install):
 subprocess post-installation script killed by signal (Segmentation fault)

I've looked through the documentation and not found any reference to a
problem like this.  Any clues as to what I should be doing here?

Thanks,

-Don