Re: fdisk and mount (was Re: Dselect)

On Sat, 07 Mar 1998 20:42:53 +0100, "Hengstberger" wrote:
> Hi!
> I`m bloody new with linux.Partitionig my harddrive I "lost" 0,5GB, thant
> means it's neither in the dos partitioning list nor in the Linux's. I don't
> really need it at present. How can I access this space again, without
> competely formatting the entire HDD?

I don't know how you determined that a half gigabyte was "lost", but
you can look at your linux partition table with "fdisk -l" (as root,
man fdisk).  THis will show the beginning and ending cylinders, so if
there is a discontinuous region, you can use fdisk (or cfdisk) to add a
new partition (man fdisk).

Note that you cannot enlarge an existing partition, although you can
delete a partition and replace it with a larger one -- all data on that
partition will be lost, and you will have to format new partitions (man
mke2fs).

Prior to using fdisk you should be aware of the destructive nature and
backup anything which is invaluable.  If you make modifications with
fdisk, don't forget to update /etc/fstab to show the new partition
numbers for the next time you reboot.

If all of your cylinders are accounted for, consider that mke2fs
reserves 5% for root by default.

> I've tried to mount my CD-ROM (ID 2,
> hdc ) any recommended way e.g. mount -t ISO 9660... . Can anyone  tell me
> any alternatives that will work better?

First you need a directory where the cdrom is to be mounted.

  mkdir /cdrom

Then, if you put an entry in /etc/fstab, you only need to specify the
device, (you may the filesystem type and mount location):

  ----------add to /etc/fstab----------
  /dev/hdc       /cdrom        iso9660 noauto     0      0
  -------------------------------------

and then you should be able to just type:

  mount /dev/hdc

(the long way is to type "mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /cdrom")

There are many variations on this, ranging from setting up aliases in
your $HOME/.bashrc file, to making a group of priviledged users for
mounting removable media.

Since you're new to Linux, I also recommend you try out one of the many
Linux reference books, possibly available online, at your bookstore or
library.
--
David Stern