kernel Headers

Can someone explain to me please this whole debian kernel headers
thing?
I use OSS/Linux (unfortunatly my sound card is of a type where I can't
use anything else)
and I plan to upgrade to the new version of it later today...
they say that before installation on Debian systems...
you have to rename /usr/include/asm and /usr/include/linux
and make them sym inks into the kernel source tree (easy enough)
then I got curious here at work (I am installing at home) and noticed
that /usr/include/linux is a sym link to /usr/src/kerenel-headers-xxx
why i sthis so?
why not just link it to the current source tree headers?
is there any difference between the "kernel headers 2.0.xx" package's
headers
and the headers that the kernel actually comes with?
On first glance I don't like that...tho I will try to keep an open mind
as
I am sure there is a rational explanation for it
will I break anything if I redo those links to point into the current
source tree and LEAVE THEM that way?
I take it that this is part of the reason I can't just cd /usr/src/linux
and
successfully "make zImage" and hand install?
are these other headers differnt? if so....how differnt?
-Steve