Re: netscape 4.04 fonts

On Thu, 5 Mar 1998, Torsten Hilbrich wrote:

> Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 19:42:10 +0100
> From: Torsten Hilbrich <Torsten.Hilbrich@gmx.net>
> To: debian-user@lists.DEBIAN.org
> Subject: Re: netscape 4.04 fonts
> Newsgroups: local.debian.user
>
> Dave Mallery <dmallery@cia-g.com> writes:
>
> > some of the fonts displayed are so small that they are illegible.  i
> > have up'ed the sizes in edit/preferences/appearance/fonts (which
> > helps with some displays) but not with others... like gw2k for
> > instance.
> >
> > also some of the fonts are poorly rendered, leading me to think that
> > there are some other fonts out there i could use..
>
> Why not use the fonts that comes with gs 4.xx and 5.xx?
>
> Symlink the *.pfb and *.afm into a directory like
> /usr/lib/X11/fonts/urw, create a fonts.alias and fonts.dir file and
> add this directory to your fontpath.  Make sure, that the bitmap fonts
> are left unscaled (using the :unscaled word after a directory) and put
> the new directory at the end.
>
> Email me for more details.
>
>         Torsten

Hi,

I just don't understand...

1. There are so-called Type 1 fonts in X11 section
2. And there are GS fonts
3. And there are free 35 PS fonts floaing around...

Is there any reasons why we cannot you one and the
only basic fonts package for X, GS and other related
stuff (TeX is in mind...) ?

Just curious...

thanks

OK