Re: replacing MTA

On Thu, 5 Mar 1998, Jeff Noxon wrote:

: On Thu, Mar 05, 1998 at 09:42:22AM -0600, Nathan E Norman wrote:
: > What is the proper way to invoke dpkg when replacing on MTA with
: > another?  Someone once said that you "just put both packages on the same
: > command line" but I've never figured that out.  How do you install and
: > remove with the same command?
:
: You don't have to.  You can just install the new MTA, which will
: cause dpkg to remove the old one.  You can then optionally purge the
: configuration files for the old one.  Multiple MTA's can't co-exist on one
: machine, and they all have rules to conflict with and replace each other.
:
: Why are you concerned, though?  You might as well remove the old one
: first.  It's not going to make any difference if you install/remove with
: one command or not.
:
: Jeff

Have you ever tried it?  unless you include the '-B' option, it throws
all kinds of errors at you.  I didn't know the '-B' option would help me
until today ...

In other words, simply using 'dpkg -i' or 'dpkg -r' is problematic,
since the MTA is essential.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104