Re: replacing MTA

On Thu, Mar 05, 1998 at 09:42:22AM -0600, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> What is the proper way to invoke dpkg when replacing on MTA with
> another?  Someone once said that you "just put both packages on the same
> command line" but I've never figured that out.  How do you install and
> remove with the same command?

You don't have to.  You can just install the new MTA, which will
cause dpkg to remove the old one.  You can then optionally purge the
configuration files for the old one.  Multiple MTA's can't co-exist on one
machine, and they all have rules to conflict with and replace each other.

Why are you concerned, though?  You might as well remove the old one
first.  It's not going to make any difference if you install/remove with
one command or not.

Jeff