Re: [off-topic] not only a server, what hardware?

On Thu, 5 Mar 1998, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> > > I have managed to promote Debian in a small but expanding firm
> > > (currently a dozen systems). They have old Novell Net and Samba at the
> > > moment, but they like Linux and want to change somehow. They allow me
> > > to give them a wishlist for a Debian System, and they'll buy it, and
> > > now I really need some help here.
> > >
> > > TASKS: File Server, Print Server, Internet Connection per ISDN (so
> > > this would work as a Gateway & Firewall) (light load), File Backup,
> >
> > If you can do it, i would suggest that you put the gateway/firewall on a
> > separate box. scrounge up an old 386 or 486 (running debian, of course)
> > if you have to.
>
> I think they will have a few spare machines when they get new machines.
> Perhaps the old Novell Server can do a good job there ;) It is a 486.
>
> Debian is mandatory - I will not help them with another system.

Hi - I have set up an IntraNet server using Debian GNU/Linux (OK it's not
complete yet ... hmmm ... it lacks a lot but this is another story ;-) and
it works great. All I can say, that no server OS is so easy to install and
so flexible in configuration.

> Yes. I said something about 100Mbps above. I asked again, and they have some
> doubts (and me too). I don't think they need those fast lines, but some
> business man has suggested a) 100Mbps lines and b) a router. Summa sumarum
> this would cost 3.500 $. Is this useful for such a small park? (In my
> opinion, they would be better off to invest the money in three linux
> machines.)

Oh the 10/100 Mbit discussion again. I think that 100 Mbit's are not worth
the money. You'll get 10/100 Mbit cards cheap as dirt but the network
equipment (hubs, switches, etc) are really expensive in my opinion. A normal
(repeated not switched) 10Mbit network will make about 700-800 kByte/s and a
100Mbit (also not switched) will make only 2-3 kByte/s. So it's not factor
10 it's only factor 3-4. With a 10Mbit ethernet switch you will get the
whole 1 MByte/s that 10Mbit will make. And the 10Mbit switches are also
cheap whereas the 100Mbit switches are expensive.

My 5 cents.

Bye

Daniel

PS: You're from Germany? Read c't Magazine 3/98 there is a good article
about SOHO networking.

Daniel Gross                                     eMail: dg@bingo.baynet.de
Hollarstrasse 2                                         dgross@gmx.net
D-85053 Ingolstadt, Germany