Re: Apache modules and Debian

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998 joyal@noblenet.org wrote:

> Please have mercy on a poor, befuddled newbie. I'm having trouble figuring out
> how to add the module mod_auth_pg95 to the Apache server. I installed both
> Apache and PostgreSQL from Debian packages.
>
> I've read much documentation, including almost all of the docs from
> www.apache.org. None of the docs regarding how to add modules to Apache (even
> the one that specifically talks about mod_auth_pg95) seem to make much sense
> to me.
>
> The compilation process apparently involves making changes to a
> "Configuration" file, but I've yet to discover what file this is.

You can compile modules to be included into apache dynamically, there is
no need to recompile the apache binary. The command line should look
something like:

gcc -shared -I/usr/include/apache-1.3 -I/usr/include/postgresql -o
mod_auth_pg95.so mod_auth_pg95.c -L/usr/lib/postgresql/lib -lpgsql

You need apache-dev installed for this to work.

Then you put the mod_auth_pg95.so to /usr/lib/apache/1.3
And insert a line into httpd.conf:
LoadModule <module_name> /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_auth_pg95.so

You should check the exact module name from the module sources. It should
be something like pg95_auth_module.

And for LoadModule to work you need dynamic module loading enabled
(it is enabled by default:  AddModule mod_dlopen.c )

--
Madarasz Gergely           gorgo@caesar.elte.hu         gorgo@linux.rulez.org
              HuLUG: http://www.cab.u-szeged.hu/local/linux/