Re: lp devices

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Jim Crumley wrote:

> I am having trouble getting printing setup with a bo.
> I have a Canon BJC-4100, but I don' think the printer
> is the problem. I had been playing around with lpr/LPRng,
> printcap, etc. when I finally realized that I forgot
> add parallel printing support when I installed Debian.
> So I went back to the rescue disk and tried adding
> the printing support and making a new boot disk,
> but that didn't work ( though it did tell me it captured
> lp1.
>
> Then I finalled found the insmod and lsmod commands.  So
> I confirmed that the lp module wasn't loaded and then I
> loaded it.  Still no luck.
>
> I have have tried echo/cat/more and redirecting to /dev/lp0
> - /dev/lp4 and I have gotten the error message:
> bash: /dev/lp0: No such device or address
>
> I am pretty much out of ideas.  Any help would be appreciated.

Install magicfilter.  You won't find the bjc4100 on the list, so install,
say, the bj200.  Then edit the PostScript section of the filter to change
"-sDEVICE=bj240" to "-sDEVICE=bjc600"

Ghostscript has no bjc4100 driver, but the bj600 driver works fine.

Bob

---
Bob Nielsen                     Internet: nielsen@primenet.com
Tucson, AZ                      AMPRnet: w6swe@01.w6swe.ampr.org