Re: wu-ftpd and anonymous ftp

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Jason Ish wrote:

> I'm running hamm and have just installed the wu-ftpd server for the purpose
> of an anonymous ftp account.  I thought I had everything working, or so it
> appeared to work from any command line ftp client (linux/win95), but when a
> friend tried to get to it using wsftp, no directory listing was given to
> him.
>
> Whats the cause of this and how do I fix it please.  (I did read all the
> docs).

Apparently the libc5 libs were included in this package (also
wu-ftpd-academ) rather than libc6.  There are bug reports on this,
however, and it will hopefully be fixed soon.

The solution (until wu-ftpd gets fixed by the maintainer) was given last
week by Ossama Othman.  It worked for me, but some others seem to be still
having problems.

Run ldd on ls.   For example,

        ldd /bin/ls           (you need the absolute path)

You should get output like:

        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x4000f000)

Copy the the libraries from the ldd output to ~ftp/lib, or wherever the
above libraries are relative to root (i.e. if in /usr/lib, copy to
~ftp/usr/lib).  Make sure the libraries have a+rx permissions.

HTH,

Bob

---
Bob Nielsen                     Internet: nielsen@primenet.com